Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I am having a bad week-be back soon

March 17, 2008-DAILY OM
Tending The Emotions

Having A Breakdown

Most of us have had the experience of holding back our emotions for such a long period of time that when they finally come out, we have something resembling a breakdown. For a certain period of time, the overwhelming flood of feelings coursing through our bodies consumes us, and we stop functioning. Often, these outbursts take us by surprise, welling up within us as we drive to or from work, watch a movie, or engage in some otherwise mundane task. We may feel like we do not know what triggered us, or if we do know, it does not make sense of our overpowering emotional response. This is because we are releasing feelings that have accumulated over a long period of time, and whatever inspired the release was just a catalyst for a much larger, much needed catharsis.

When we find ourselves in the midst of such an experience, it is important that we allow it to happen, rather than fight it or try to shut down. Wherever we are, we can try to find a private, safe place in which to let our feelings out. If we can not access such a place immediately, we can promise to set aside some time for ourselves at our earliest possible convenience, perhaps taking a day off work. The important thing is that we need to give our emotional system some much-needed attention. It is essential that we allow ourselves to release the pent-up emotions inside ourselves so that they do not create imbalances in our bodies and minds.

When you are feeling better, make a plan to find a way to process your emotions more regularly. You can do this by employing a therapist or making a regular date to talk to a trusted friend. Journaling can also be a great way to acknowledge and release your emotions, as can certain forms of meditation. Making room in your life for tending your emotions on a regular basis will keep you healthy, balanced, and ready for life.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

so good you understand the process.
take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

You're very smart to know what you need. xxxx

Anonymous said...

Denise, I am feeling for you.

I went to a therapist every week for 4 months when the kids were little and my husband worked long hours and we weren't on the same page. It was GREAT! I still see her once a month to check in (I think it has been about 6 years) and I really like her. I get to unload my complaints and frustrations and I pay her and she still thinks I'm a wonderful person. Plus, my husband doesn't have to listen to all that emotional stuff.

Here is the best part, she is an expert mid-life coach and well, seeing her is the best thing I have ever done for myself. And I am pretty sane for all the attention.

I have gone and sometimes ranted, a couple of times cried through the whole session and mostly tell her what I am up to and have accomplished. She likes my jokes and laughs when I do, so it isn't just that I pay her anymore we do get along. And sometimes we laugh so hard tears are rolling down our cheeks. She cheers me on.

I'll never go have coffee with her, but it doesn't matter, we've covered everything already anyway.

I hope you feel better about things soon. You have my empathy and sympathy. You will come through it and be a stronger person.

xo Catherine

mormar said...

I am fine really, Just a big slam of reality. and learning that you have to say what you need when you need it and not let your emotions get bottled up. I also have a problem of thinking I can do everything by myself. Bad Idea....

Anonymous said...

Especially since you have a partner that you share your life with for that reason.

Here is a quote from my "Taxi Driver Wisdom" book:

"MARRIAGE IS FOR WHEN YOU LIFE IS NOT SO GOOD." more for worse, really...

even if it was his fault

AnnaC said...

Don't you love Daily OM?

Many days I feel like they are somehow reading my mind and knowing exactly what I need to hear.

I hope they are doing that for you too...

Hang in there.